What is PY (Professional Year Program)?
Professional Year (PY) Programs are gazetted by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) to address Australia’s skills deficiency through upgrading the employability of International graduates of Accounting, IT and Engineering fields and successful completion earns them 5 points towards permanent residency in Australia.
What is the duration of this program?
It is a 44 weeks program with 32 weeks coursework of Business Communication skills and Australian Workplace skills training followed by 12 weeks Australian workplace internship in the participant’s chosen profession.
Why should I consider to do a Professional Year?
- Helps you to gain 5 extra points towards Permanent Residency
- Enhance Your CV
- Gain a nationally accredited certificate
- Put your theoretical knowledge into practice/experience
- Join relevant professional networks
- Career counselling during and on completion of program
- Access to various workshops
- Gain Professional Year Certificate
Am I eligible to enroll in to Professional Year?
To be eligible, you should have:
- Graduated from a related higher education program within Australia (minimum 2 years duration)
- Hold a subclass 485 Temporary Resident Visa for skilled migration or show evidence of your application for Bridging visa
- Achieved English requirement:
- Accounting – minimum IELTS score of 6.0 (no band lower than 6.0) or equivalent
- Information Technology – minimum IELTS score of 6 overall, with no band below 5, or equivalent
- Engineering – minimum IELTS score of 6.0 with no band below 5, or equivalent
- Skill assessment from relevant professional association
Do the classes run on weekdays or weekends?
Both options are available for all the programs. It’s a usually 1 class/week but the class timing changes from one provider to the other.
What's the fee for a Professional Year?
The fees vary from provider to provider and differ by course. At PFEC global, we offer every student enrolled in the Professional Year via us scholarships and a host of other benefits.
The standard fees are as follows:
Accounting – Depending on the provider, fee ranges from $5500 – $11500
Engineering – Depending on the provider, the fee is between $14200 – $15500
ICT – $12600 – $12930
Can I pay the fees in to installments?
YES, Absolutely. Installment plans are available and most providers offer them.
What is the duration of the internship?
The internship is for a period of 12 weeks on weekdays and you have to meet the minimum requirement of 3 days attendance every week.
Is the internship paid?
No. Since the internship really is the practical component of the program, it is not paid.
Can I take a break during the program?
This is very provider specific and is typically not recommended but individual cases are best discussed with the course providers.
Can I take a break during my internship program?
Once your internship has commenced you must complete that internship within the agreed time frame. You will not be permitted to withdraw or change to another internship. Failure to complete the approved/agreed internship will result in failure of your internship module and your graduation will be delayed.
Can I arrange my own internship?
Many Professional Year institutes allow self-sourcing of internship. If you would like to arrange your own internship, you must speak to the educational institute prior to starting the course and understand the process for the same.
Why should you choose PFEC GLOBAL?
We represent all the leading Professional Year Institutes in Australia with one stop information on all PY providers. We offer great benefits upon PY enrolment including FREE Temporary Graduate Visa 485 & Skill Assessment, Special discount on PR service fee, Free PR consultation etc.