Temporary Graduate Visa
The 485 visa is a temporary visa for international students who have recently graduated from an Australian education institution. This visa will permit one to live, study and work in Australia temporarily for 24 months up to 4 years depending on your situation.
This visa has two streams.
- Students who have applied for their Student Visa before 5th November 2011 will be able to use this visa for Graduate work stream. A visa in this stream is granted for 18 months from the date of grant.
- Students who graduate with a higher education degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of their field of study, and were granted their first student visa to Australia on or after 5 November 2011, are eligible to apply for Post Study Work Stream. A visa in this stream can be granted for up to four years from the date the visa is issued, depending on the visa applicant’s qualification.
Supporting evidence must be given at the time you lodge your application. This visa requires both general criteria and the eligibility criteria of either of the Graduate or Post-Study Work stream. Requirements for this visa include:
- The applicant must be younger than 50 years of age
- The applicant must hold an eligible visa
- The applicant must have evidence that you have met the English language requirement
- The applicant must meet the Australian study requirement in the last six months
- The applicant must meet health and character requirements.
- The applicant must have health insurance in Australia
- The applicant must meet the specific requirements of the stream in which you are applying for this visa.
Graduate stream specific criteria:
To be eligible for the Graduate stream of this visa, in addition to the common eligibility criteria (above), you must:
- nominate a profession on the Skilled Occupations List (SOL)
- have met the Australian study requirement by course(s) closely related to your nominated occupation
- have lodged a skills assessment for your nominated occupation with the relevant assessing authority at the time of visa lodgement (this will need to be approved before the visa can be granted).
Post-Study Work stream specific criteria:
To be eligible for the Post-Study Work stream of this visa, in addition to the standard eligibility criteria (above), you must:
- have applied for your first (ever) Australian Student visa on or after the 5th of November, 2011
- have satisfied the Australian study requirement
The 485 visa allows one and one’s family to live in Australia temporarily after you the personnel has finished his/her studies. When you are in Australia with a 485 temporary graduate visa you can,