Top 10 Student Visa Questions

Every year, thousands of international students traverse to Australia in search of a world-class education. The country’s attractive post-study work visa, which allows international students to gain Australian work experience, could also be used as a pathway to permanent residency in Australia.

Australia’s Post-Study Work Visa Terms and Conditions

International students must meet the eligibility requirements for Post Study Work Visas established by the Australian Department of Home Affairs. These requirements may differ depending on the type of visa you’re applying for and the length of time you plan to spend in Australia.

How Do You Apply For An Australian Post-study Work Visa?

Students who wish to apply for one of these post-study work visas can do so either online or fill out a paper application. Due to the complexities of applications, it is recommended that you consult with an expert such as PFEC Global AU.


To apply online, go to the Australian Government’s Department of Immigration’s official website. Then, in the order listed below, follow the steps:

Step 1: Go to the concerned department’s official website, then to the ‘ImmiAccount’ page.

Step 2: If you are a new user, select ‘Create ImmiAccount’ from the drop-down menu, or log in with your credentials (User ID and Password) if you have already registered.

Step 3: Fill out the visa application form completely and upload/attach all required documents.

Step 4: If you intend to travel with your family, include their information in the form as well.

Step 5: Pay online using your credit card or other payment methods as directed.

Documents Required for a Post-Study Work Visa in Australia

You’ll need several essential documents to submit your application successfully. These are the documents:

  • Documents of Identification
  • Documents Related to the Study
  • Characteristics and Documentation
  • Papers Relating to Health Insurance
  • The Partner’s records (If you are living with a dependent spouse)
  • Documents of Dependents Under the Age of 18 Years, if required
  • Forms of dependents over the age of 18, if required

This stream is only open to those who applied for and received their first student visa to Australia on or after November 5, 2011.

  • You would not be eligible to apply for this stream if you had your first student visa before this date, even if it was as a child on your parent’s student visa.
  • Prospective subclass 485 visa applicants who are eligible can apply for their visa outside of Australia during the concession period and be granted access while they are there.

If you meet the following criteria, we will process your visa application:

visa application
  • If you’re the primary holder of a valid student visa (but not one supported by the Defence or Foreign Affairs and Trade Ministry)
  • you had a valid student visa for the previous six months before your application and now have a Bridging Visa A or Bridging Visa B, granted based on a valid visa application
  • you had a student visa for the previous six months before your application and now have a valid visa
  • You no longer have a student visa, but if COVID-19 travel restrictions have prevented you from travelling to Australia to apply for a Temporary Graduate visa, you are eligible to use it if you have held a student visa within the last 12 months.
  • If you have previously been granted a subclass 485 or 476 visa as a primary visa holder, we will not be able to grant you this visa.

When You Have This Visa, There Are A Few Things You Can Do?

After you’ve finished your studies, you can stay and work full-time in Australia for a while. If possible, have immediate family members stay with you.

While on this visa, you must find your work. We are not in charge of finding employment for you, but may be able to help you with generic advice.

Your Guide To Know Everything About Post Study Visa RequirementsHow long can you stay?

The Post-study visa is a short-term visa. Your qualification in Australia will determine the length of stay in the country.

  • Two years bachelor’s degree (with honours) or master’s degree by coursework: 2 years; master’s degree by research: 3 years; doctoral degree: 4 years
  • Holders of a Hong Kong passport who have completed a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree: five years

Wrapping Up

When it comes to higher education abroad, at PFEC Global, we understand the value of proper counselling and guidance. Students and parents have different questions about studying abroad, qualifications for classes, application procedures, job guidance, visa policies, financial support and other difficulties when living abroad.

PFEC Global technical education advisors have years of experience representing aspirants abroad in research services. By leading them through every step of the application process, they provide adequate support to all students. They perform comprehensive screening and discussions to help students identify and follow up on their exact criteria by finding the best fit for them.

Contact Us Today For A Free Initial Consultation!

Open chat
Book an Appointment