Skill Independent Visa (Subclass 189)
This 189 visa permits an immigrant to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident. It is for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer or family member or nominated by a state or territory government.
To be eligible for this visa, you first need to submit an expression of interest, and then you have to be invited through SkillSelect to apply. With this visa, you and your family members who have also been granted this visa can live, work and study in Australia permanently. This visa also allows getting enrolled in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses. Also, if you are eligible, you can get an Australian citizenship.
General Eligibility Criteria
To apply for a Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189), you must have submitted an Expression of Interest (EOI) through the Department of Immigration’s SkillSelect programme. If you have been invited to apply (through SkillSelect), then you can apply for the visa.
To be granted for this visa, you must
- Be under 50 years of age
- Nominate a profession that is included on the appropriate Skilled Occupation List (SOL)
- Get your skills evaluated by the relevant Australian skills assessing authority (EasyMigrate can manage this process for you)
- Have Competent English
- Meet applicable health and character requirements
The Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189) is a Permanent Residency visa. This visa allows the holder (and any family members included in the application) to:
- Stay in Australia indefinitely
- Work and study in Australia (without restraint)
- Travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted
- Enroll in Medicare (Australia’s universal health care scheme)
- Sponsor eligible relatives for temporary and permanent visas
- Apply for Australian citizenship, if eligible
(Note: The five-year travel limitation only prevents re-entry into Australia after the expiry date. If five years had already passed, a Resident Return visa or other applicable visas would be needed)